November 27, 2011

Photography Basics Week 4.

Using natural light was this week's topic. Lighting has always been my main point of confusion. So this week I'm looking forward to some extra pointers through the critique of my own work.

A big shout out to my wonderful husband, who stepped up as a last minute subject when I recieved a late word my other subjects weren't able to make it to our scheduled shoot. So thankful for such a willing spirit! Thank you, Brandon. Much Love!!!

Front Lit
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/200
This is not my favorite. We were obviously battling sun...right in the face. I had to keep saying, "Don't squint." There is a bright spot on his forehead and the shadow of the tree limb on his shirt is a big distraction for me as well. However, it does showcase a front lit image, even if it doesn't do it well.

Back Lit
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/60
My only concern with this image is the way the top of his head it lit up. It looks almost like a glowing halo. My husband is wonderful, but he doesn't have a halo. All my back lit images showcased this same issue. Regardless, this is one of my favorites from this week.

Side Lit
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/200

Silhouette
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/4000
I did do a little playing with this image post production. Not sure if what I did would be considered "creatively correct," but I liked the look of it. I will admit it doesn't look as cool as a smaller image pasted in my blog, but pulled up as a large image on my computer screen it's pretty awesome. I love that there are even a few blades of grass, or weeds showing as part of the silhouette. I had hoped to capture a starburst for this particular shot, but we were working with noon day sun and I just couldn't get it to work. However, I do look forward to starburst opportunities in the future!

1 comment:

  1. Way behind on blog reading - had no idea you were taking a photography class. Loved catching up on all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete