December 4, 2011

Photography Basics Week 5.

Using Natural Light Indoors. Well, this week I waited until last minute! It's been raining here for three days, which is great...we need the rain, but three days of rain means all five kiddos are banned to the house with Mom all weekend while Dad is working...kinda crazy around here! So I decided to do a quick shoot this afternoon before we headed out to church. It was pouring rain, as you'll see in my silhouette shot and therefore, also very dark outside although it was still two hours or so away from sunset. Although I waited until the last minute to complete my assignment, I'm happy with most of my images this week. Here's what I got...

Silhouette image utilizing window light as a brighter background...
ISO: 400
Aperture: f/6.3
Shutter Speed: 1/60
This is my middle child standing in front of our playroom window "playing" his sister's recorder. There is a screen on the window, but honestly I think it gives a cool effect. I love that the light shows through the clear instrument and I also love the detail of his eyelashes!

Portrait image utilizing window light and natural reflectors...
ISO: 4000
Aperture: f?5.3
Shutter Speed: 1/80
Okay, so this may be my favorite image I've taken since this class began. Again, this is my middle child, Rylie. He is standing by the same window mentioned above. I had my older son hold a while piece of cardboard I happened to have laying in my office opposite the window. It was the best I could do for a "natural reflector." I could tell a huge difference in the lighting on the left side of the face with the reflector in use. I decided to go black and white so the bright colored strips on his shirt would not be a distraction.

Still life utilizing natural light and natural reflectors...
ISO: 400
Aperture: f/5
Shutter Speed: 1/2
No super pleased with this image, but it's what I have. The glass is not in focus. Not sure if that's because I focused in on the flower or if it has something to do with the super slow shutter speed? The "natural reflector" here was our tablecloth turned upside down...hence the faint green and red lines. Uhhgg...you can't win them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment