October 14, 2008
Naptime Nightmares.
We have been experiencing nap time nightmares. I should clarify the boys are not the ones having nightmares during their naps. Rylie does experience nightmares during his night sleep quite often and I would never make light of that situation; it is very disturbing to watch him go through it. However, for the past couple of weeks Reese has been taking one nap a day, and that nap has been lasting only 30 to 45 minutes. I am having a hard time trying to figure out the problem. I know he is still tired because he fusses the remainder of the day and constantly rubs his eyes, but once he's awake he won't go back to sleep. Even worse, when he wakes up screaming he then wakes his brother, who also has not had time to finish his nap. This whole thing is exhausting to me. First, and most selfishly, it takes away any "just for mom" time I try to carve out of each day for the sole purpose of keeping my sanity and showering. Secondly, both of the boys are cranky and no fun to be around. Actually "no fun to be around" is a huge understatement. More like I can't stand to be around them! I know it sounds horrible, but I'm just being honest here, people. I have no idea what's going on and I am out of ideas. I've tired all sorts of things like running a fan to cut back on noise he may hear from outside, running the TV on a classical music station for soothing background noise and just letting him cry for a while after he wakes up...hoping he'll go back to sleep. Nothing has worked. I have to find a solution for his sake and mine. He is wearing all of us out. And while Brandon is great at listening and offering sympathy and extra help when he gets home, I sometimes think he thinks I'm making a bigger deal of it than it is. After all, Reese and Rylie both took a 2 hour nap Sunday afternoon while daddy was here to witness this horrible new behavior I've been discribing. Why is that always the case? I welcome any ideas and or suggestions you may have to cure my recurring nap time nightmare.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That is so true...it seems like whatever I tell Jason is going on when he is there it doesn't happen. It makes me feel like I'm loosing my mind. I wish I had some helpful advice. I know one time Noah went through a similiar thing and for him he was watching too much tv. I started noticing that the more he played and less tv he watched the harder he crashed! Also, we had to move his naptime to one a day to 2pm. Of course now he doesn't take naps :( I wish he still did! Every now and then he will if he's exhausted but it's not a daily thing. Ethan just sleeps from 12-3 because of Noah's school schedule. He probably would sleep more if he could. He likes to sleep. So maybe something in this jabberish helped. Also, I've noticed with my two if they are cutting a tooth they nap horrible. That's all I got --- sorry!! I hope you can figure it out soon because we all need the "mommy time". Bye :)
ReplyDeleteReese is asleep again. Praise God! No really, I prayed about it. Maybe he still needs two naps, or maybe God knew how much I needed "mommy time" today.
ReplyDeleteYou know Zeke has never been big on long naps. In fact the kid takes 4 to 5 30 minute naps a day. It doesnt give me a whole lot of time to accomplish much but having that many breaks during the day helps to keep my sanity a little. Maybe Reese is just needed more shorter naps. Once I notice Zeke getting fussy and rubbing his eyes I lay him down and within 10 minutes he is out. Just a thought. I hope it is just a phase. And the nightmare thing. Zeke has them too, and it breaks me heart. He will be sound a sleep and start screaming/crying and frailing his arms. I have to pick him up and hold him while telling him its ok until he wakes up and realizes it was just a dream. It is so sad
ReplyDeleteI have no advice for that problem. Ellie gave up her nap months ago and Maggie only naps once a day but the length is hit or miss. But I will agree that naptime is shorter when she is cutting a tooth.
ReplyDelete